1. Azure Container Apps [Preview] - service allows you to spin up containers or the Microservice architecture from your containers.
It seems like this service is a SaaS wrapper around the following components and frameworks:
- Kubernetes or AKS is used as the central orchestrator
- Docker ;)
- DAPR is Distributed Application Runtime. It is used to provide a communication/event-based layer between services.
- KEDA is the event-based Autoscaler for Kubernetes.
|Azure Container Apps documentation||Tutorial|
Notice: I’m writing a detailed article about this service.
2. Open Service Mesh AKS Add-on
The Service Mesh AKS Add-on allows you to enable/deploy Service Mesh for your AKS cluster just with one step:
az aks enable-addons --addons open-service-mesh -g <my-osm-aks-cluster-rg> -n <my-osm-aks-cluster-name>
A service mesh, like the open-source project Istio, is a way to control how different parts of an application share data with one another. Unlike other systems for managing this communication, a service mesh is a dedicated infrastructure layer built right into an app. More about the Service Mesh here.
You can setup this addon with a new AKS cluster or enable it for existing one.
3. Gateway Load Balancer [Preview] is a load balancer with gateway SKU.
What does this mean? When you create the load balancer, you can choose the option that includes a gateway with the following options:
- Firewalls (with inline DDoS)
- Advanced packet analytics
- Intrusion detection and prevention systems
- Traffic mirroring
- Custom appliances
This service looks pretty much similar to Application Gateway and Azure Front Door ;)
From the first glance, the difference between these services is Load Balancer operates in OSI layer 4, and App Gateway operates OSI layer 7.
4. Azure Virtual Network Manager [Preview]
The fundamental concept of this service is managing networks across subscriptions. You can assign the Scope of the Azure Virtual Network Manger on Azure Management Group or Subscription level.
- Centrally manage connectivity and security policies globally across regions and subscriptions.
- Enable transitive communication between spokes in a hub-and-spoke configuration without the complexity of managing a mesh network.
- Highly scalable and highly available service with redundancy and replication across the globe.
- Ability to create global network security rules that override network security group rules.
- Low latency and high bandwidth between resources in different virtual networks using virtual network peering.
- Roll out network changes through a specific region sequence and frequency of your choosing.
5. Azure Chaos Studio [Preview]
Azure Chaos Studio is a service that allows you to simulate an outage for your environment. You can apply scenarios to
- Virtual Machine. For example, you can simulate VM shutdown.
- Kubernetes. You can kill PODs.
- Force excessive CPU usage of your VMs.
Here is the fault list (or Test Cases;)) that you can apply against your resources.
In the image below, you can see the main structure of the Azure Chaos Studio.
Azure Chaos Studio Documentation
[Updated 22/11/2021] Complete list of Azure updates.
- Support for Amazon EKS Threat Intelligence with Defender for Cloud.
- Azure Cognitive Services new preview based upon OpenAI
- Azure SQL Managed Instance Link – a new service which allows disaster recovery and bi-directional migration between SQL Server and SQL Managed Instance
- Azure Logic Apps Disconnected mode running locally and on Azure Arc.
- Updates to Azure API Management with support for GraphQL and native support for WebSockets API
- Azure Arc with support for Azure Stack HCI, Integrations with vSphere allowing self-service capabilities.
- Azure Virtual Desktop with support for Azure Stack HCI
- Release of Dv5/Ev5 and Dasv5/Easv5 based upon AMD EPYC (Milan) CPU, without local disk storage and a much cheaper cost
- Azure Monitor comes with enhanced troubleshooting for Azure Firewall, VPN Gateway and OpenTelemetry with Application Insight.
- On-demand disk bursting is now available for Azure Disk Storage.
- Azure Chaos Studio is a new service in preview like Chaos Monkey which is a service that disrupts applications intentionally.
- Microsoft Defender for Cloud (the new name for Azure Defender and Azure Security Center) now provides security best practices for AWS (including recommendations and now part of Secure Score)
- Near real-time analytics rules for Azure Sentinel
- Integration with Microsoft Azure Synapse for Azure Sentinel